Thursday, January 18, 2018

An Extraordinary Mom

It was a tiring day at work. I had to skip my evening tea as well. I badly needed one but rushed to take the last bus home.
My friends in office had already scared me that when mom-in-law comes to stay with you, life becomes hell. They shared their stories how their life turned up-side-down and they lost their peace of mind.
I kept thinking of all that they said as I travelled towards my home, where my mom-in-law had come to stay with us for the first time after our marriage.
As I reached home, she opened the door with a broad smile on her face. She then brought a glass of water for me and that took me by surprise. No, she was not like the other grumpy moms-in-law! I then went to my room to change and when I came out she was waiting with a plate of homemade snacks and tea. I was completely taken aback! She was totally different from all the scary stories I heard all day.
I felt awkward and very politely I asked her not to make me feel so special. What she said next touched my heart. She said, "I do this for my daughter too, why can't I do it for you?"
I then sipped the much-awaited tea, and to my surprise, it was exactly the way I love it.
That was just the beginning, one after the other her gestures kept winning my heart and I felt comfortable in her company. We spoke for hours, giggled on most of the topics and spent a very relaxing evening together.
Next morning I reached the office with the happiest face and when I started boasting about my mom-in-law, nobody believed a word.
I went on and on and they kept staring at me with disbelief. To them, it was like a fairytale because no mom-in-law can be so generous and loving.
They finally believed that I am truly blessed with an extraordinary mom-in-law when I opened my lunchbox! It was hard for them to believe that she woke up before me and also packed my lunchbox. It was such a treat to see additional boxes of neatly cut salad and one with desert packed specially for me!
She is an inspiration, not only for me but for many. I sincerely wish every mom-in-law has such a big heart and they treat their daughters-in-law with so much love that she is not scared but waits impatiently for her next visit; like I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment