Thursday, January 18, 2018

My Baby’s First Stage Performance



We got a notice from school about an upcoming event. It was a fancy dress competition for which we had to prepare our kids. We also had to inform the class teacher about the theme we choose.

Then began brainstorming sessions at home! Though he is in playgroup and too young to understand what is this competition all about, for us it was a big event. His first stage performance after all.

We unanimously wanted to do something unique, different from the ordinary. I thought of giving some social message too. So after a few good options, we zeroed down on save water theme, suggested by his aunt.

We planned to make a water drop from blue paper and tie it around him. His granny went immediately in search of it and returned with a perfect material that was thick enough to prepare the water drop. We did that but he was not looking complete with just a drop around him. So my sister suggested to make a tap and tie on his head. That too was made, but I was still not satisfied.

I then thought of making him wear a blue costume and also tie a blue cloth in his arms depicting waves. So granny again went for its search and returned with the materials, exactly the way I wanted.

With a tap on his head, drop around his neck, waves in his arms and covered head-to-toe in a blue costume, he finally looked complete.

Now the next big task was to prepare a speech of two lines on his chosen theme and make him memorize it. After juggling with words for a while I thought of teaching him "Earth is getting hotter, so let's save water."

He memorized it well but was speaking it at such a speed that only he understood. So we thought of writing those two lines on the drop so that audience could see and connect to what he said. Still, it was not very clear and audible. So my musical instinct awakened and I added a tune to it and asked him to sing those two lines.

Finally with the costume and his musical speech he looked adorable and confident at the same time.

Then came the D-Day! We went with him to school. I purposely didn't make him wear all the props since morning fearing he might tear them off, but his teacher insisted on getting him ready.

Like a good and obedient boy, he allowed me to tie all the props around him. He was busy looking at his classmates, all dressed up in various costumes. There was a huge chaos inside his classroom. Some sat quietly but most of them were screaming and disliking their attire.

When he was ready his teacher asked him to sit with his classmates and wait for his turn. Due to the water drop tied around him, he couldn't walk properly and fell hitting his knees and started crying. His teacher asked us not to worry about him and sit with other audience outside.

My heart sank seeing him hurt and I knew if he continues to cry he'll not be able to perform. So, with a heavy heart, we went outside and waited impatiently for the event to begin.

The show began with the Nursery kids performing first. The Playgroup kids were inside their classroom and we could hear them scream at the top of their voice. One by one all of them came out to sit in the audience with their parents. My baby came out sans props! I could see he was not in a very good mood so I tried to relax him and soon he started enjoying the show.

When they announced that they'll now begin with Playgroup kids, we again went inside to dress him up. To my horror, I saw his water drop was torn. Even the ribbon was missing with which I was supposed to tie it around him. We tried searching for a while but to no avail. Finally, I had to fix it using safety pins on his t-shirt.

Thankfully, he was ready again right on time and stood silently in line with his teacher. He was the fourth kid to perform but just before his turn he saw me and started crying again asking his teacher to let him go.

His teacher then gestured towards me to come on stage. Finding me beside him he stopped crying and climbed up the stage wiping his tears! He was again in no mood to utter a word. His teacher encouraged him and also gave him a chocolate to speak.

With the chocolate in his hand, he forgot all the actions that I taught him to perform. At least he gave his speech properly in a timid voice. I was not very happy with what he did on stage, probably I was expecting too much from him.

He enjoyed munching his chocolate while I removed all the props. When I asked him why he didn't speak properly, he said he wanted to speak again on stage. I think the chocolate changed his mood! His granny asked his teacher if he can be allowed again to perform and they welcomed him readily.

I was not very optimistic as he had removed his costume by now but just to make him happy we again cheered for him. This time he was loud, clear and happy.

We were then asked to wait for the results. We were discussing that he was not bad so he might get at least 2nd or 3rd position. One by one the names were announced and to our surprise, he grabbed the 1st position!

We exclaimed with joy but now he didn't want to go towards the stage again! So we went with him to collect his prize. Other kids were no different; some didn't even bother to pose for their winning photo!

An eventful day indeed, with lots of unexpected chaos, last minute struggles, toddler tantrums, anxious parents and the cherry on the cake was his win! His win was a combined effort of the entire family who was over-enthusiastic and will remember his first stage performance forever!

Yes, this is just the beginning!

2 comments: