Thursday, January 18, 2018

First Trimester - Happiness That Comes With Discomfort

The day you realize you are pregnant becomes an unforgettable day in your life! We had gone to the nearby medical store late in the evening to buy a home pregnancy kit to check if I was pregnant.
Even before we could reach the particular aisle, we found a friend also roaming around in the same area so we wasted some of our time to buy irrelevant stuff! We definitely didn't want him to get an idea of why we were there. Finally, after he left we rushed to grab a kit and went straight to our home.
The instructions read that taking the test in the morning would give the best results. So, now we had to wait till morning. The excitement did not let me sleep the entire night. At around 4 a.m. I got up from my bed and started thinking, “Is it morning yet? Shall I carry on the test now or wait?”
I was so impatient that I couldn't wait any longer. I exclaimed with joy as the two pink lines appeared. I rushed to wake up my husband and we were both rejoicing, so early in the morning!
Because we were planning for this baby, we were in touch with a gynaecologist. We went for a check-up the same day. I was already taking folic acid and was prescribed to take prenatal multivitamins as well. We were happy to know everything was normal and my health was at its best.
Soon my happiness was marred by severe nausea that I experienced. It was followed by, aversion to eating, acidity and also dehydration. Nothing seemed to be rosy anymore.
I was advised to take more fluids. Lemon water definitely does wonders. Chilled coconut water was also my favourite. I didn't even feel like taking milk so I tried mixing it with health drinks.
An avid tea lover like me suddenly developed an aversion to tea. Though health wise it was good for me, I missed it. I didn't feel like eating anything that was sweet. I craved for street food but was strictly asked by my doctor not to have them to avoid jaundice and typhoid. I wanted to eat fried and spicy food but acidity didn't allow me to. I developed gas from a variety of vegetables too.
First of all, you don't feel like eating and then there are so many restrictions. You have to eat healthy and easily digestible food. It just adds to your woes.
Another discomfort was frequent urination that didn't allow me to get a sound sleep. Constipation is a nightmare that followed soon. Taking a cup of hot milk eases bowel movement.
I relied on Mother’s Horlicks with milk to get the necessary nourishment. It is a health drink that has many of the required nutrients needed like iron, calcium, folic acid and protein. These are required for the baby’s major organ development from the first trimester itself and also fulfils the extra nourishment that a mom needs. I loved its taste too.
My body went through enormous changes which lead to fatigue, heartburn and also mood swings. I was lucky that my husband pretended to understand all of these and handled my tantrums really well. That is exactly what you need in your first trimester, someone to love you despite all your crankiness.
Not that everybody faces the same issues. Some women are lucky not to have nausea at all and some, on the other hand, cannot start their day without vomiting.
What helps you stay strong is the kind of nutrition and exercise regime you follow right from the beginning. Start with deep breathing, stretching, walking and strengthening your muscles from the very day you realize you are pregnant. Don’t exhaust yourself and take proper rest in between. Proper nutrition and a little bit of exercise every day will make a lot of difference.
As you enter your second trimester, things become a lot smoother. Most of the health issues vanish and you would love to eat your favourite dishes. That is when you start enjoying your pregnancy. Take some time out for yourself, relax, feel the baby's kicks and bask in the glory of motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment