Thursday, January 18, 2018

10 Things To Pack When Travelling With A Baby


Travelling has always been exciting for me but travelling 
with a baby needs preparation. I am glad I spoke to a few 
moms who shared their experience of travelling with 
infants. That helped me make my own packing list which 
I keep referring to every time I travel.

My very first experience was travelling internationally 
with my four-month-old. I was apprehensive about a lot 
of things but thankfully everything went as planned.

I hope this checklist helps you plan your next travel with 
your baby.

1.        Diaper Bag
Even if you are not carrying a diaper bag it's advisable to 
pack a separate small bag which you can stuff inside your 
carry-on luggage. Pack it with diapers, wipes, 
changing pads, diaper rash  cream and odour-sealing 
disposable plastic bags.

2.        Milk and Snacks
a.      Whether you are nursing your baby or not it's good 
to carry formula milk with you.
b.      Extra bottles or use-and-throw bottles.
c.       Breast pump if you are using one. Manual pumps are 
lightweight and easy to carry.
d.      A flask of hot water or just a bottle of water is good 
to carry.
e.      Snacks, both for you and your baby to munch on.
(Airlines will allow you to carry milk and water for your 
baby but only after they check all the liquid containers.)

3.        Feeding Set
Carry a set of lightweight bowl, plate and spoon which 
again can be a use-and-throw set. Also, pack a few 
washable bibs for your infant's feeding sessions.

4.        Clothes
You can make various zip lock packs of your baby's clothes 
and socks so that you don't waste time in searching for the 
right pair  of clothes when in a hurry. Later you can also use 
the same zip lock bag to pack the soiled clothes. Don't forget 
to pack an extra  pair for yourself too!

5.        Blankets
Blanket does wonders! They make your baby feel at home 
and help them in taking naps. If your baby doesn't want to 
sleep in the bassinet you can use the tiny blankets to tuck on 
his sides or one under his head to make him comfortable in 
your lap and you both can take a good nap. Instead of 
carrying one large blanket carry a few small blankets so that 
if one gets wet or dirty you can always use the extra blankets. 

6.        Baby cream
Pack the travel size bottles of baby lotion, hand sanitizer 
and a body lotion for you.

7.        Medicine
Keep a pain-reliever, one for fever and a cream for minor 
injuries for infants with you. You can also pack a travel size 
first-aid kit and some medicines for yourself.

8.        Toys
Pack your baby's favorite toy but make sure it's a soft 
one and doesn't make noise. So that even if your baby 
suddenly throws it away, other passengers don't get hurt.

9.        Sling
The best part of carrying your baby in a sling is it's 
hands-free. Your baby can also continue to sleep while 
you are in transit.

10.    Tissues and Plastic Bags
You'll need a lot of them so keep the travel size wet/dry 
tissues and plastic bags handy.

The packing checklist will differ depending on the age of 
your baby and the length/mode of your journey. 
Accordingly, you can edit and personalize the checklist 
and save it for yourself.

I made this when my baby was just four months old but 
I still refer to it today for travelling with my toddler. I too 
have edited it as per his needs. I don't carry bibs and 
pumps with me anymore but I have added books to my 
list for him.

Also in my recent travel, my baby surprised me when he 
showed interest in dragging the carry-on bag himself. 
It was an amusing sight for the fellow passengers and 
now I know that before our next travel I'll have to gift 
him a bag that he can carry all by his own!


No comments:

Post a Comment